Korean true crime, dark history, ghost tales, folklore, serial killers, and more.
You are about to discover why Korea has the spookiest stories and darkest history.
Subscribe, sit back, and enjoy.
Joe & Shawn
Folklorist Shawn and history buff Joe delve into Korea’s gruesome stories of massacres, betrayals, and blood. It’s like “Game of Thrones” in Asia. We share our passion for Korea and its struggles throughout time. If you enjoy shows like “Kingdom,” this is the podcast for you. Even if you know nothing about Korea, its history will become your new addiction.
For early access, video podcasts, extra tales, and more…
become a Patreon subscriber for as low as $5 a month.
Patreon subscribers get lots of extra content. Dokkaebi Tier Patreon subscribers also get a free horror-themed gift mailed to their home each month.
- Gwangju MassacreMay 18th, 1980, the South Korean military beat, jailed, raped, and murdered the citizens of Gwangju while the rest of the country didn’t know. The stories of this crime didn’t start going public until the 1990s, and more is being found. Do the world a favor and listen to this episode.
- Park Chung-hee vs. Vladimir PutinIs Vladimir Putin’s regime going the same way as Park Chung-hee’s in its final years? Let’s test this hypothesis. Authoritarian leaders tend to go through the same stages–eerily so. Can we predict what will happen with Putin by looking at what happened to Park?
- Park Chung-hee, pt. 2: The FallAfter steering the Korean economy out of poverty, how did Park Chung-hee’s popularity decline to the point that he was assassinated by his own cohort?
- Park Chung-hee, pt. 1: The RisePark Chung-hee’s legacy commands controversy. The President/Dictator oversaw Korea’s rapid economic rise, and he brutalized his people with his brass knuckle rule. In the first of three episodes, we discuss how his rise synced with South Korea’s rise.
- Cheonggyecheon: The World’s Longest FountainThe Cheonggyecheon Stream defines the history of Seoul. Ghosts still lurk its winding path. Learn the surprising stories behind the stream that Seoul never left well enough alone.
- Sewol Ferry Disaster: Aftermath & MysteriesThe 2014 Sewol Ferry Disaster traumatized South Korea. Conspiracy theories emerged to make sense of the senselessness. Here are the biggest ones.
- Police TortureSouth Korean police were ruthless and tortured confessions out of people because they couldn’t find perps. Things have changed, but have they?
- Forensics in Korean Criminal History
- The Rise and Demise of Pimatgol
- How is Insa-dong?How did Insa-dong become known as the antique and art district? The dark reason will surprise you. Plus our recommendations.
- Hidden Sex Cams EpidemicReuters dubbed Korea “The Global Epicentre of Spy Cams.” How bad is it? Why is it so bad? And what can you do to fight this?
- Koreans Murdered OverseasWe talk about cases of Koreans who have been murdered while traveling or living outside of Korea. What was with that rare packing tape?